Information Technology Services (ITS)
How & when to use a memo
Standards and best practices for writing memos for ITS staff and faculty
When to write a memo
Use a memo to communicate important official messages to mass groups within an organization. Examples include:
- Informing employees about organizational, policy or process changes
- Providing an update on key projects or goals
- Announcing staffing updates such as new hires and retirements
What to include in a memo
- A header with the official ITS logo.
- Indicate that the message is a memorandum (memo).
- Identify the memo details including who is receiving it.
- Address your audience and include a descriptive introduction.
- Include all relevant information and a call to action.
- Sign off with your name, title, department and email address.
Download a memo template