Join ARCDO and Hart House for a film screening and discussion centered on Black women in leadership navigating institutional spaces. Navigating the realities of anti-Black racism within varying intersectionalities calls for Black leaders to engage a level of hope, determination and strength within their professional journeys.
Let us come together to engage this critically important dialogue with one of Canada’s most prominent and revered champions of equality and inclusion for Black community, Hon. Dr. Jean Augustine.
Format: Hybrid – This event will be hosted in person and livestreamed.
Location: The Great Hall, Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle
Audience: Faculty, staff, students, and external community.
Light refreshments will be served.
- Emcee: Lydia Gill Blackett, Assistant Director, University Student Recruitment – Equity & Outreach Office of Student, Recruitment,University Admissions & Outreach
- Performance: Michelle Bookal (she/her), U of T Alumni, 2018, Registered Nurse
- Traditional African opening: Aina-Nia Ayo’dele (she/her), Spiritual Leadership Coach / Ancient Wisdom Teacher, Aina-Nia Journey Learning Inc.
- Welcome: Professor Meric Gertler, President, University of Toronto
Download the agenda (pdf)
Film screening of Steadfast: The Messenger and the Message
Steadfast: The Messenger and the Message brings us the uplifting story of the Honourable Dr. Jean Augustine through her first-hand account of her struggles and triumphs told in her own words. It also includes interviews with people who know her personally such as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau; former Prime Minister of Grenada, Dr. Keith Mitchell; the first Black Miss World, Jennifer Hosten; British actor Joseph Marcell; Grammy-nominated singer Freddy Will and several Members of Parliament and political leaders in Canada. Through re-enactments, the film depicts the courage and determination with which Dr. Augustine fought for the rights of women and African-Canadians.
In conversation with the Honourable Dr. Jean Augustine
A moderated conversation with the Honourable Dr. Jean Augustine followed by questions from the audience.
- Guest of honour: Honourable Dr. Jean Augustine
- Moderator: Jodie Glean (she/her), Executive Director, Institutional Equity Office, Division of People Strategy, Equity & Culture
To register for the in-person event, complete and submit the registration form.
Registration is not required for the virtual event. You can attend virtually by joining the livestream.